Thursday, March 7, 2013

Giving a Presentation


Ramos (2012)


Giving a presentation is an important skill not only in the academic life but also in the future career. Today it was the first time for me to give a presentation in English. I had to stand in front of me colleagues to explain my chosen degree to them. In this blog I am going to write what I think about my performance at my presentation.

Before starting my presentation I prepared my speech and my slides. This made me confident towards what I am going to talk about even though I felt a bit nervous. However, the full attention of my colleagues was encouraging and prompts me to face my fears.

At the beginning, I introduced myself and the subject I was going to talk about. This was a good start as my tutor said the limitation of the time I put to my topic is an excellent technique. My speech was clear and fluent with a usage of extensive vocabulary. The University of Kent (2013) suggested that the lecturer should speak clearly with confidence as this makes them sound in control. Also, my use of referenced material, rhetorical questions and eye contact made my presentations looks professional.

On the other side, I think I made some mistakes as well. I was speaking a bit fast when I should speak slowly so that I finished earlier than the appointed time. Newcastle University suggested that “Don't rush, or talk deliberately slowly. Be natural - although not conversational”. Using notes helps remembering the main points but I think I read much than necessary. Hence, I have to correct my mistakes next time when giving a presentation.

At the end, although it was a new experience to me, I think I have done so well, and as long as I have experience of how giving a presentation feels like I will not be nervous again. preparing the lecture and the good use of all the above tips will made the presentation even better.




Bibliography



Newcastle University (2009) Communication Skills – making oral presentations. Available at: http://lorien.ncl.ac.uk/ming/dept/Tips/present/comms.htm (Accessed: 7 March 2013).


Ramos, M. (2012) Admitting you're scared ... and other presentation mistakes to avoid [Online]. Available at: http://www.phoenix.edu/forward/careers/2012/03/admitting-youre-scared-and-other-presentation-mistakes-to-avoid.html (Accessed: 7 March 2013).

University of Kent (2013) Tips on Making Presentation. Available at: http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/presentationskills.htm (Accessed: 7 March 2013).





No comments:

Post a Comment